People have long associated owls with wisdom, which may be part of the reason they are such popular motifs in jewelry. If you're in the market for owl necklaces, earrings, pendants, or other items, learn how to shop for and spot quality pieces.
Buying Quality Owl Jewelry
Owls and other birds were all the rage during the Art Nouveau period in jewelry, and they experienced a resurgence in popularity in the 1960s and 1970s. However, these beautiful birds have never really gone out of style. From large hinged necklaces to tiny stud earrings, there are hundreds of beautiful jewelry pieces featuring owls. Although these designs are popular in cheap costume jewelry, there are several places you can find owl jewelry that meets high quality standards.
Quality Owl Fashion Jewelry
Although costume jewelry is rarely made to the exacting standards of fine jewelry pieces, you can find quality pieces that are made to last. The following sites offer owl jewelry:
Owl Jewelry from Artisans
If you're looking for a one-of-a-kind owl piece, considering buying jewelry from an artist. Online marketplaces like Etsy and Artfire make it easy to connect with artists who can make exactly the piece you have in mind. This is a great way to ensure you'll get quality work, since most items are made by hand. You may even be able to communicate special requests directly to the artist.
In addition to shopping online at artist marketplaces, you can find high quality owl necklaces and other items at local art fairs and in galleries. Consult the art department of your local college for names of artists who might be willing to make you a custom owl piece.
Vintage Owl Necklaces and Jewelry
You don't need to buy new owl jewelry to get in on this trend. Since owls have been popular for so many years, you'll find an exceptional selection of quality vintage owl pieces. Expect to see costume jewelry featuring enamel and glass or rhinestones. You'll also find a variety of hinged designs, which allow the owls to move with you when you wear them.
These are a few of the great places to shop for vintage owl jewelry:
- Local thrift stores
- Vintage clothing and jewelry stores
- Antique shops
- Ebay or other auction sites
- Garage sales and auctions
- Flea markets
Assessing Quality in Owl Jewelry
Wondering whether you have a quality piece? Ask yourself the following questions:
- Does it feel sturdy? The metal should be heavy enough to hold its shape.
- Are any stones or glass pieces attached securely? There should be nothing loose or rattling.
- Are the hinges even and secure? Movable jewelry is complicated, and hinges need to be functioning properly. Wiggle it back and forth a few times to make sure the jewelry meets your standards.
- Is the enamel in good shape? In vintage pieces, the enamel can become chipped, detracting from the overall look.
- Are chain clasps functional? The clasp is the place where a necklace or bracelet gets the most strain. Make sure the clasp works properly.
An Enduring Trend
Although owl jewelry has been very trendy at various times, it will never really go out of style. If you choose a quality piece, you can expect to get years of wear out of your owl necklace, bracelet, ring, or earrings.