One shoulder dresses are popular, especially for prom gowns and wedding dresses. The sophisticated look can be quite sleek and slenderizing. Yet, despite the beauty of this dress style, it is hard to accessorize. In fact, some fashion magazines recommend not wearing a necklace with these dresses. This can be frustrating for the fashionista who loves jewelry. Why is the dress so hard to accessorize? The neckline rises higher on the sleeve side of the dress. This makes it difficult to select necklaces that lay properly without getting lost in the dress fabric.
Ideas for Jewelry With a One Shoulder Dress
Certain types of jewelry bring out the beauty of the one shoulder dress style. The following types of jewelry are recommended:
- Choker: A choker lays close to the neck without interfering with a slanting neckline. A choker works well with a slender neck and brings attention to the face.
- Y necklace: The structure of the Y necklace with a dangling middle allows you to wear a delicate necklace style without losing it in the dress material.
- Lariat: A lariat's long length allows you to loop it over several times and knot it to the desired effect. Lariats can create a dramatic effect with one shoulder dresses with low backs since part of the necklace can lay on the bare back.
- Long necklace: A long necklace generally works with a one shoulder dress because it hangs low enough to show up without getting lost in dress material. You can double loop a long necklace to make the jewelry more prominent and shorten the length.
- Arm cuff: Choose an arm cuff for your bare arm for an exotic look.
- Post earrings: Post earrings match a simple elegant look.
- Dangle earrings: Dangle earrings may be more appropriate for ornate jewelry accessories.
- Additional jewelry accessories: Wear rings and bracelets, if desired. However, don't pair a wrist bracelet with an arm cuff on the same arm.
Recommended Gemstones and Materials
Just about any gemstone and jewelry material works if it complements the color and style of your dress. Here are some ideas for gemstones and materials to look for in jewelry selections:
- Pearls: Classic pearls work well alone or with gemstones. Use pearls for chokers and long necklaces.
- Diamonds: Diamonds are always an elegant choice and work well both alone or with other stones. Incorporate diamonds in lariats or Y necklaces.
- Gold: Choose classic yellow gold or the popular white gold for jewelry designs.
- Crystals: Crystals are a more affordable alternative to diamonds to add sparkle.
- Color coordination: Color coordinate your gemstone jewelry with the dress. For example, choose a sapphire for a blue dress or an amethyst for a purple one.
- Other Diamond alternatives: Opal and moonstone are other substitutes for diamonds that add sparkle and go with any color.
What Not to Wear
Due to the slanted neckline and single sleeve of a one shoulder dress, you want to steer clear of certain types of costume jewelry. Avoid wearing the following:
- Pendants and delicate necklaces on thin chains: Pendants and delicate necklaces will lie against the dress fabric and won't show up on the slanted neckline. These types of necklaces may fall under the neckline of the dress as you move around.
- Medium length necklaces: Medium length necklaces that barely cover the dresses neckline looks out of proportion and may end up falling under the dress fabric.
- Chunky necklaces and earrings: Chunky necklaces and earrings may clash with the elegance of the dress.
- Wooden necklaces: Many wooden necklaces are too casual for dressy one sleeve dresses.
- Arm bracelet misplacement: Do not wear arm bracelets over the sleeve. It won't lay against the arm properly and will cause the material to bunch up.
What jewelry to wear with a one shoulder dress may take a little thought and some serious shopping in fashion and online stores. There are many jewelry options to fit most tastes. If your heart is set on accessorizing a one shoulder dress, you can find the right jewelry.