A silver antique locket Australia Brisbane offers a beautiful piece of jewelry, and it can be a way to keep your loved ones close to your heart.
What is a Brisbane Australia Locket?
A locket is a special type of pendant that opens so that something can be placed inside it. Lockets were popular in Brisbane, Australia during the Victorian era, and many of the silver lockets in antique shops hail from that time period. Owners of Brisbane, Australia lockets frequently put photos of their husbands, children, boyfriends, dogs or other loved ones in the allotted spaces inside the locket. Lockets usually have space for two photos, one on each side of the locket, but some have space for more than two. In times past lockets were often held a lock of hair from a loved one, and some continue that tradition today. Lockets from Brisbane, Australia and lockets in general are most frequently worn on a chain as a necklace, but they are sometimes worn on bracelets as well.
Types of Silver in Brisbane Australia
Silver's shining beauty and durability makes it an ideal material for jewelry, and compared to other precious metals, its affordability can't be beat. Whether it's used in long silver earrings, silver mood rings or antique silver lockets from Brisbane, Australia, silver always lends a striking apearance to a piece of jewelry. There are different types of silver that you'll encounter in lockets from Brisbane, Australia:
- Sterling Silver - A silver alloy, usually 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper. Pure silver is too soft to be used for jewelry, but the other metal gives it the necessary strength.
- Coin Silver - This type of silver was made from melting down silver coins and creating something new. This type of metal was slightly less pure than sterling silver, with 90% silver and 10% copper.
- Silverplate - Silverplate is a base metal covered with a thin layer of silver. Some novice antique silver buyers mistake the emblem "EPNS" for a silver hallmark, but it actually stands for "Electro Plate Nickel Silver," or silverplate.
- Vermeil- This is silver covered in a layer of gold. This material was often used in antique jewelry.
Where to Find a Silver Antique Locket Australia Brisbane
If your heart is set on a silver antique locket, plan a day of antique hunting and spend it browsing through quaint little shops searching for lockets and other treasures. There are plenty of antiques shops in the lovely city of Brisbane and the towns and villages in the surrounding area. Take a look at these online shops from the Brisbane area:
- Australian Ebay - This is probably your best bet for finding a silver locket. Plenty of choices, and some are from Brisbane.
- Brisbane Antiques - This shop has several pages of beautiful antique jewelry. Keep an eye on the site so that you'll be ready to scoop up any silver lockets when they come in!
- Bentley Delisle - For modern Brisbane Australia jewelry with an antique look, Bentley Delisle is the way to go. You'll need to contact the company for pricing information.