There is no better way to ensure a perfectly co-ordinated look than by wearing matching necklace and earring sets.
When planning the purchase of jewelry, one important feature that is often overlooked is ensuring that many different items of jewelry can be worn together. This is a good way to ensure that items of jewelry get maximum use as it can be such a shame when favorite or items with sentimental value don't get worn as often as they deserve because they do not match with an overall set.
Matching necklace and earrings is the core of many jewelry ensembles and with this in place it is straightforward to add other pieces into the outfit. The look can be varied by the addition of other items of jewelry, for instance a very formal necklace and earring set can be dressed down with the addition of a casual ring or brooch. Buying a matching set is a wonderful way to own co-ordinated jewelry. Choosing the set wisely will ensure that it can be worn for many different occasions and will complement almost any other jewelry type.
Choosing a Necklace and Earring Set
When picking a set of jewelry there are some key features that will help you with your purchase:
Type of Precious Metal
Choosing the type of precious metal that a jewelry set is to be made from is a central part of the purchase. The type of precious metal will determine the cost, the durability and the overall look of the items of jewelry. It will also help to define what other items of jewelery can be worn with it.The choice of precious metal is likely to be one of the following
- Platinum - one of the most expensive precious metals available and known for its steely white color.
- Paladium - this is a precious metal that is gaining in popularity. The color is a brighter white than white gold and it does not need plating to keep its color.
- Gold - gold is one of the most versatile precious metals, with a long rich heritage and used widely throughout the world for jewelry making. Gold is available in many different qualities (karats) and colors. Yellow, white, red and green gold are all colors that are often found in jewelry.
- Silver - silver is hard wearing and durable. It is a white color and makes an ideal choice for everyday wear. Silver does tarnish over time, however many believe that this enhances the overall look of a piece of jewelry, giving it added depth and dimension.
Deciding whether to look for jewelry sets containing a gemstone is another important feature to consider. Gemstones can add sparkle and color to jewelry as well as have special meanings such as birthstones or perhaps even as part of family jewelry such as mother necklaces.
There are many different types of gemstone ranging from diamonds, with their well deserved reputation for sparkle and 'fire', through to agates, quartz and other colored gemstones such as jade, tigers eye and onyx. The addition of gemstones adds to the overall feel of a set of jewelry, however can also make it difficult to match with other pieces and therefore this should be considered when planning a purchase.
When planning any jewelry purchase setting a budget is important. This helps to provide focus and ensure that time isn't wasted by looking at items completely out of the price range. The cost of jewelry is determined by the materials involved, such as the metals and stones, and also the amount of work that has gone into the making of a piece.
The final element that is important to consider is the overall style required. When buying a necklace and jewelry set then there are many style elements to consider. These include:
- Size: The size of the jewelry is important. Small delicate necklaces and earrings are highly adaptable and can be worn for many occasions, whereas more dramatic or flamboyant pieces may look wonderful, but be worn only occasionally.
- Chains and Clasps: These often get overlooked when choosing necklaces, however are an important part of the purchase. The chain will help determine the overall feel of a necklace. A highly decorative chain, for instance, will help to complete a jewelry set that is more ornate than that which is completed with a plain chain. Many necklaces also have decorative clasps and these can look wonderful and are almost works of art in their own right.
Tips for Picking the Perfect Jewelry Set
Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect set:
- Gold is a safe choice for many types of jewelry and can be dressed up or down.
- Plain styles are easier to match with other jewelry types and adapt well to different occasions
- Gemstones can add to the finished look of jewelry, but can be difficult to match with outfits or other items of jewelry.
- Items of jewelry that are neither too small or too big are likely to get worn the most.
A necklace and earring set is a lovely way to own a co-ordinating set of jewelry and will provide many years of pleasure.