People who enjoy historic, Masonic or religious jewelry will find Knights Templar pendants a meaningful addition to their collection. The heroic and sad story of the warrior monks, whose legendary religious devotion contributed to the Christian Crusades and may have guarded the Holy Grail, has a special place in both history and lore. The interest in their story had led to the creation of jewelry that appeals to many different people ranging from symbolic jewelry collectors to bikers.
About the Knight Templars
A group of nine knights led by Hugh de Payens offered their service to the Patriarch of Jerusalem soon after the victory of the First Christian Crusade (1095-1099) and the Knights Templars were born.
The Knights Templars lived by a strict code comparable to monastic life. Members took vows of chastity and poverty. They also spent hours in prayer, when possible. Their vows of poverty were observed at varying degrees because the order did accept property gifts and accumulated wealth over the years that the Templars used to support the Crusading cause and the Templar order as a whole.
The official duty was to protect Christian pilgrims who were visiting shrines. However, there was much speculation that the order had a secret agenda to uncover a buried treasure on the Temple Mount, the property granted to the order by King Baldwin II of Jerusalem. This theory has been played upon by lore and popular fiction but has never been proven.
The Knight Templars served in the Holy Land for two centuries before they were challenged by King Philip IV of France, who accused them of heresy. King Philip had the Knight Templars arrested on October 13,1307. The members were tortured into making confessions of heresy, which most historians believe were false confessions. The arrested Templars were executed.
The Templars order as a whole was not officially found guilty of heresy but Pope Clement V dissolved the Knights Templar order at the Council of Vienne in 1312. Then, in 1814, the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar, Jacques de Molay, was burned at the stake. His death ended the era of the legendary Knights Templar.
Types of Knights Templar Pendants
Today's Knights Templar pendants are often replicas or original artist designs inspired by the original Templar symbols and seals. Pendants are available in materials such as sterling silver, pewter, resin or gold. Templar pendant types include:
- Knights Templar cross pendants: Crosses usually contain the main Templar seal or one of the medals in the middle of the cross.
- Knights Templar Seal pendant: The traditional seal shows two knights riding on one horse on the front. The back of the seal shows a picture of the dome of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and reads, "Wherever two or more of you are gathered in My name, there am I, in the midst of them." This seal is the most popular historic symbol for pendants.
- The Templar Beauseant Banner: Pendants based on this banner shows a picture symbolizing the sins and hardships of the earthly world on one side and a picture of the knights in heaven.
- Templar War Banner (Vexillum belli): The Vexillum belli (war banner) is also a theme found among Templar pendants. These type of pendants bear the words of the war banner - "Non nobis, Domine, non nobis sed nomini tuo da gloriam." The English translation reads, "Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory."
- Unique artist pieces in Templar themes: Some jewelry artist design Templar theme collectible one-of-a-kind pendants.
- Templar Inspired Pendants: Many other pendants that are inspired by the Knights Templars, especially due to the popular interest in the warrior monks.
Other types of Templar jewelry available include rings and pins.
Online Resources for Knights Templar Jewelry
Searching for Knights Templar jewelry locally may be challenging for some locations. However, the Internet has hundreds of websites that sell Templar jewelry. Shopping online provides the best chance to find a large selection of Templar jewelry, including rare collectibles.
The following online retailers sell Templar pendants and jewelry:
- AJS Shop: The AJS Unique Jewelry Shop has a large selection of Templar pendants and jewelry. Pendants include crosses and shields in both replica and artist inspired designs. This is also a good resource for Masonic jewelry.
- Myth Maiden: The Myth Maiden offers a Templar cross pendant for sale.
- Moonstone Jewelry: Moonstone Jewelry has some Templar inspired pendants.
- Dexter: Dexter's Family Seal Rings site sells the traditional Knights Templar seal in both a pendant and ring.
- Ruby Lane: The Ruby Lane antique site periodically offers a vintage Knights Templar jewelry item, including pendants.
Knights Templar jewelry will be around for a long time due because of the history, lore and mystery surrounding the ill-fated warrior monks.