Horsehair jewelry is perfect for anyone who loves horses, and it can be the perfect memento of a favorite horse when its hair is used to create a custom piece for its owner. This natural texture jewelry is quite unique, and the best part is that no harm comes to the horse from making it.
The Art of Making Horsehair Jewelry
Jewelry artists can use horsehair in jewelry projects in a variety of ways.
- They weave the horsehair into beautiful patterns in the form of bracelets, necklaces, and earrings.
- Decorative elements such as gem stones and metal beads are sometimes incorporated to add further interest and beauty to a piece.
- The hair can also be incorporated into artistic arrangements for pendants.
To create this jewelry, artists typically uses tail hair because it is easier to work with than mane hair. However, some artists use both.
Where to Buy
Your best bet for finding this type of jewelry is on the Internet. Some offer completed pieces, while others will make custom jewelry from horsehair you provide. Check out the following stores for pieces that might appeal to you.
Already Made for Sale
- Twisted Tails sells jewelry made from horse tail hair. The jewelry artist makes braided bracelets and necklaces, as well as resin pendant designs with locks of horsehair.
- Gift Corral sells Cowboy Collectibles brand horse jewelry. Selections include leather bands with braided horsehair, horsehair hat bands, necklaces, and horsehair copper cuffs.
- My Horse My Heart Creations makes necklaces and bracelets out of horsehair. Their pieces are combined with sterling silver, and some pieces are adorned with decorative pendants as well. Some of their pieces can also be customized with engraving.
Custom Made With Your Horse's Hair
- Everlasting Heart makes custom memorial jewelry keepsakes from your horse's hair as well as other pet fur.
- Equine Keepsakes makes custom jewelry pieces from your horse's hair, or from donated horsehair if you prefer. They tell you how much hair is need for the particular design you choose.
- Pony Locks creates custom necklaces, bracelets, earrings and key rings out of your horse's hair. The artist braids the hair in both round and flat styles, and many of the silver accents can be engraved to complete the custom look.
Caring for Your Jewelry
Horsehair is a natural fiber that's rather fragile, but it's still durable if you take proper care of it. To keep your jewelry in good shape, follow these care instructions.
- Store the jewelry in a jewelry box or satin jewelry pouch when not in use.
- Protect the horse jewelry from snagging against other jewelry. Don't wear it next to a watch or a chain bracelet that might catch on the horsehair.
- Shampoo and condition the jewelry every six months to keep it clean.
- Condition your piece with a little jojoba or olive oil once or twice a year or if it starts to look dry.
Express Your Love
Whether you want to express your love for a particular horse or just for horses in general, wearing a piece of jewelry made from natural horsehair is a very special way to do it. This type of jewelry has been around for generations, so go ahead and keep the tradition alive.