Firefly Jewelry is owned and operated by Edward Rudnicki. The company workshop is located in Guatemala with a California satellite office in Oakland, California. The artisans of Santiago Atitlan have kept the traditions of their culture alive over the centuries and employ these and other methods to create unique jewelry.
The style of design reflected in the Santiago Atitlan culture is recreated in each of these pieces of jewelry. Firefly utilizes many of the older molds used to create metal findings, especially vintage filigree finding molds. Characteristic features of their pieces include:
- Strong colors: Firefly pieces are unique with distinguishing strong colors.
- Mosaics: The designs feature the clever use of mosaics with crystals and gemstones to create miniature works of art.
- Metals: Brass and nickel silver wire are most common. Findings are brass, plated with silver in an antiqued finish.
- Beads and crystals: Japanese or Czech glass beads and Austrian Swarovski crystal embellishments give this jewelry a stunning sparkle.
Necklaces and Bracelets
The designs of necklaces and bracelets are eye-catching and will add sparkle to any attire.
- Necklaces: Choose from a wide range of designs. The adjustable steel chain for each necklace is 16-18 inches long.
- Bracelets: The bracelets are seven to eight inches long with extenders. All the clasps are a lobster claw design.
When it comes to earrings, you have three choices of styles.
- Post style: All the posts are made out of surgical steel.
- French ear wire: With this style, the wires are either gold filled or sterling silver.
- Clip-on: Lever-back earrings are silver-plated and findings are either brass, antique brass or silver-plated.
Hand-Crafted Art Jewelry
All of Firefly Jewelry's pieces are made by hand. The company employs 80 local men and women artisans who are indigenous people of Santiago Atitlan.
Proud of its working conditions, Firefly's Guatemalan workshop is fully equipped. The workshop was designed to be large enough so that each artisan has his or her individual workspace, which includes a worktable and light.
One of the most notable aspects of the company set-up is how nature plays a vital part in the overall design of the workshop. The company created an adjoining courtyard filled with colorful flowers and lush native plants that helps to inspire the workers.
Firefly Jewelry offers two jewelry collections each year. The first collection is revealed for the spring fashion season while the second is released in time for fall.
Where to Buy
If you want to purchase Firefly Jewelry, there are many online and boutique shops that carry the designs. If you are a wholesaler, you can make purchases in New York City by attending the Accessories Show that's held there three times each year.
- Rainbow Bridge Jewelers: Offering one of the largest collections, this shop features colorful teardrop, Parisian, rectangle, chandelier, candy hoop, and round earring styles. You can find chandelier and pendant necklaces and a few bar and mosaic bracelets as well. Prices range from about $30 to over $250.
- The Lamp Stand: This large selection includes round, baguette, bar and La Dolce Vita bracelets. The Lamp Stand also features round, oval, square, rectangle, dragonfly, flora filagree, baguette, Arabesque and teardrop earrings. Round, heart, pendant, chandelier, La Dolce Vita, and cross necklaces complete any wardrobe. Be sure to check the closeout section regularly for great savings. Pick up your favorite pieces for about $30 to $150 each.
- Craft Gallery: This is another great selection of Baroque, round, oval drop, clover, hoop, rectangle, chandelier, square and tier earrings. Lots of different necklaces include drop, V, cross, square, cross, pendant, chandelier, heart, spiral and harp. If you're wanting a great bracelet, go for a long crystal, spiral, double mosaic, La Dolce Vita or Signature design. Prices are set at about $20 to $225 each.
- The Artful Soul: This collection includes several mosaic pendants, and petal framed, oval, firefly, and round drop earrings. Other choices include cross, dragonfly, roulette and heart necklaces and earrings. There are few bracelet choices that include multi-colored and La Dolce black and white. Expect to pay about $30 to $165 per piece here.
- Robert James River: A wide selection of necklaces can be found at this shop, along with a few options for bracelets and earrings. Bracelets created with Swarovski crystals are displayed in three color groups for easy browsing. Necklace styles include round, V, pendant, square, bibb, La Dolce Vita, circle and luna swirl. Prices range from about $40 to $150 per piece.
- The Design Haus: The sister site to Robert James River features a collection of Firefly bracelets that include La Dolce Vita, button, Luxe, dainty bar, bubble, baguette, square swirl, architectural, spiral, lavish geometric and vintage round styles. Bracelets are priced between $120 and $220.
Art and Beauty
Firefly Jewelry is wearable art at its finest. The hand-crafted designs are unique and beautiful, giving you lots of options for an eye-catching piece. The individual attention to detail makes each piece a great addition to any jewelry collection.