Can chakra spiritual necklaces really affect your body's own healing power and energy levels? Many people believe they can. Come learn more about this very interesting concept.
Chakras Made Simple
Before we discuss chakra necklaces, let's talk about the spiritual/metaphysical beliefs that inspired them.
If you practice Yoga, then you're already familiar with the concept of the seven chakras, but for those who are learning about it for the first time, here's a simplified explanation.
What Are Chakras?
The entire concept of the chakra system was first developed in India during the middle ages.Chakras are believed to be specific energy locations in the body, portals if you will, that regulate the flow of energy through the body. Picture them as wheels in your mind's eye .
The Seven Chakras
Although different cultures have slightly different beliefs about the chakra system, it's generally believed that there are a total of seven chakras located along the length of your spine, beginning at the base, and ending at the crown of your head.
From the bottom up:
- Root chakra: This is the first and lowest chakra, located in the perineum. It's believed to govern your basic survival instincts. The root chakra is represented by the color red.
- Sacral chakra: This second chakra is located level to your naval, and governs your creative and emotional energies. It's represented by the color orange.
- Solar plexus chakra: The third chakra is located at about the same level as the bottom of your sternum. It's thought to govern your energy and activity levels. It's represented by the color yellow.
- Heart chakra: The fourth chakra, located at heart level, is said to govern love and relationships. It's represented by the color green, but can progress to rose for those who learn to love unconditionally.
- Throat chakra: This fifth chakra governs your ability to communicate and take action. It's represented by the color blue.
- Brow chakra: Chakra number six governs your spirituality, intuition and thoughts. It is sometimes referred to as the "third eye", and is represented by a deep purple color.
- Crown chakra: This seventh and final chakra governs understanding and wisdom. It is represented by either violet or white.
When you are healthy, these wheels are open to your natural energy flow, but from time to time they can become blocked and need healing to open them again.
About Chakra Spiritual Necklaces
As already mentioned, each chakra corresponds to a particular color, so a chakra necklace contains various gemstones to represent the color of each chakra.
In many cultures, gemstones themselves are believed to have certain healing powers. The crystal structure of each gem is unique, and thought to produce a current or vibration that helps align and balance the flow of energy through the chakras.
Chakra spiritual necklaces might contain any number and type of gems in the desired colors, but typically each piece will have seven stones.
The average necklace might contain:
- Red Tiger's Eye: This gem is believed to keep you well grounded and focused.
- Carnelian: This reddish-orange gem is thought to enrich the emotions and provide a certain zest for life.
- Citrine: This sunshine gold gem is said to boost mental clarity and self-esteem.
- Green Jaspar: It's believed this gemstone cleanses energy, bringing harmony and a sense of well-being.
- Sodalite: This gem is thought to strengthen our powers of speech and inner healing.
- Amethyst: This is the gem of dreams. It's believed to enhance the imagination and heighten the powers of intuition.
- Quartz Crystal: This gemstone is believed to purify your thoughts, boost wisdom and create a closer union with your "spiritual" self.
Of course, not all chakra necklaces are made with actual gemstones. Some are created with colored glass or crystal beads in the chakra rainbow of colors, but the healing premise is still the same.
Whether or not you put faith into the concept of chakras, there's no denying that these necklaces are certainly attractive in their own right. If you like them, go ahead and enjoy them, and if you happen to derive any physical/metal/spiritual benefits, consider it icing on your cake.