Go military chic with a gold dogtag ball chain pendant.
Once dogtags were used to identify military canines on the battlefield. Then they were put to use as identification tags on soldiers. While they still fill this function for today's military, dogtags have also found their way into the world of fashion jewelry.
So, what's the big draw? Engraving! You can have just about anything you want to say engraved into your tags as long as the message will fit. Personalize your tags with your own name, or maybe the name of someone very special to you. Have your favorite band's name engraved for all to see, or show a little school pride with the name of your school. The possibilities are wide open.
About Ball Chains
Dogtags are great, but have you ever wondered why you only find them on ball chains? There's a very good reason.Ball chains are quite different from the usual chains you encounter with most jewelry items. Instead of links, the chains are made from small hollow metal beads that are strung using hollow metal tubes for spacers. The result is a chain that is highly flexible, but will never kink or tangle the way link-style chains can.
The clasps are also quite unique. Each clasp is oblong, with an open section in the middle of one side that is just large enough to slide in the last ball at the end of the chain. The opening narrows at each end to a space that is just wide enough to allow the tube spacer to pass through. The very tip of the clasp opens just wide enough to accept the spacer while still holding the ball captive.
All of this ingenuity adds up to a very durable chain with a practically unlimited use life. It's just the kind of rugged yet functional design you'd expect from the military. Think of the ball chain as the Hummer of all jewelry chains and you get the idea. Ball chains usually match the type of dogtag - white gold dogtag with a white gold ball chain, for example.
Gold dogtags can make a one-of-a-kind gift for a wide variety of lucky recipients. Here are just a few ideas.
- Mother's dogtags: Why not forego the ordinary "Mom" heart locket next Mother's Day, and present your mom with tags engraved with your name? In fact, you can add multiple tags to the same chain, each engraved with the name of your siblings.
- Father's dogtags: What's good for mom goes for dad too. You can play the name game, or go straight for the heart with "World's Greatest Dad", or "To Dad, With Love".
- Sweethearts tags: Have a matching set of dogtags engraved with the names of you and that special love in your life, then wear the tags with each other's names.
- Military spouse gifts: Engrave a gold dogtag with the name of a soldier shipping out, and give it to the spouse staying behind as a keepsake.
- Memorials: Tags engraved with the name of a loved one that has passed away can also become cherished keepsakes.
- Graduation gifts: Tags can be engraved with the graduate's name, school and year.
Shopping for Gold Dogtag Ball Chain Pendants
PersonalizedBoutique.com carries genuine 14K gold dogtag ball chain pendants in a polished sleek design. Their tags are worn by celebrities, including country music star Gretchen Wilson.You can opt for a plain dogtag, or choose to have a birthstone accent added to the piece. If you're feeling really fancy, you can even purchase tags framed in diamonds. All tags come with free engraving in your choice of landscape or portrait style orientation.
- Tag sizes include:
- Mini: 1 inch
- Medium: 1 1/2 inch
- Jumbo: 2 inches
- Chain lengths:
- 16 inch
- 18 inch
- 20 inch
- 24 inch
- 30 inch
- Choose 14K gold in:
Gold dogtags at this site do come at a bit of a price, ranging from $110.00 for a simple 14K mini tag to $1,250.00 for a jumbo diamond encrusted gold tag. Prices for matching chains run similarly.