Ankle bracelets are also called anklets. They are used as an accent to casual attire that bears the ankle area. They are usually worn in summer or at times when the legs and feet are exposed and when you want to draw attention to that area. There are also those who feel that wearing an ankle bracelet is tacky or inappropriate. To avoid that sentiment, be sure to follow a few rules of ankle bracelet etiquette to ensure that you are always appropriate in wearing your anklet.
Ankle Bracelet Etiquette Rules
When wearing an ankle bracelet, almost anything goes. Wearing one depends on your personal style and taste and on what you feel comfortable with wearing. Some may prefer to wear an anklet year-round while others opt to wear it only during summer months or while at the beach or pool. No matter what you decide, there are some basic ankle bracelet etiquette rules to keep in mind when wearing your anklet.
- An anklet can be worn on either ankle. There are no underlying messages on what it means to wear it on the left versus the right.
- You should never wear your ankle bracelet with pantyhose. It should be worn on bare legs only.
- Ankle bracelets do not belong at the workplace or in any professional settings.
- When wearing your anklet, be aware of what shoes you are wearing it with. It should never clash or compete with your footwear. Instead, it should complement whatever you are wearing on your feet.
- Ankle bracelets that make noise and have bells or chimes on them are never appropriate out in public.
Some other things to consider when wearing an anklet are:
- Time of year
- Your age and personal style
Wearing an anklet can be a great option for those wanting to show off their legs. Why not wear one after getting a great pedicure? There are endless situations where wearing an anklet is totally appropriate. These include:
- At the beach
- While on vacation
- Relaxing poolside
- Casual summer party
- Afternoon lunch with friends
Ankle Bracelet Options
When it comes to ankle bracelets, there are various styles available. From the simplest to the most outrageous, choose a style that matches your personality. Some types to consider are:
- Yellow or white gold anklets
- Sterling silver anklets
- Anklets accented with diamonds or gemstones
- Beaded ankle bracelets
- Leather anklets
- Homemade woven designs
Ankle bracelets also make great gifts. If you are stuck thinking of a birthday gift idea for someone celebrating a summer birthday, why not give them an anklet. Perfect for warmer weather, the gift will be something that they will enjoy and is something unique.
One last thing to consider for an anklet is the size and how you would like to wear it. Some prefer to wear it hanging loosely from the ankle while others prefer it to be snug and above the ankle bone. To measure for the correct size, simply take a measuring tape and wrap it around where you would like to wear the bracelet. Then add a half inch to the measurement. Typically, a 9 inch anklet fits a smaller ankle while a 10 inch is the average size. Finally, the perfect compliment to your ankle bracelet is a toe ring in a matching style.